Wet! Wet! Wet! That is how the first Highland Games of the season ended up. It was an overcast start to the day and quite mild, with the weather forecast predicting rain later. Ever optimistic, the Scottish Clans and the Highland Games organisers turned up early at the Three Kings Domain on Saturday the 21st of November, to set up everything ready for the expected crowds. In Auckland the weather tends to move through quite quickly often clearing earlier than predicted. However today was not one of those days.


Jim Donald (centre) from Clan Donald, enjoying a session of Scottish Country Dancing.

The crowds were slow to arrive, obviously put off by the weather forecast. The Highland Dancing competition retired to the indoors at a local school. Some of the Highland Games events were completed plus the medieval battles and the Scottish Country Dancing. By the time for the parade of the clans and the Opening Ceremony at 12.30 pm rain showers had started. It cleared during the ceremony and the parade finished with it quite bright.



The Clan Donald Colour Party before the start of the Clans Parade. From the left, Vice President Lynnette McDonald, Secretary & Banner Bearer Tom McDonald, Genealogist Heather Higgins, President Bruce McGechan, Vice President & Historian Carl Bradley and Barrie Paterson.



Clan Donald Colour Party lined up behind Clan Davidson at the start of the Clans Parade.



The Clan Donald Colour Party of Guard Carl Bradley, Banner Bearer Tom McDonald, Guard Barrie Paterson, President Bruce McGechan, obscured Heather Higgins and Jim Donald during a rather damp Clans Parade.


The Clan Colour Parties lined up for the Opening Ceremony with Clan Donald in the middle.

During the morning saw many members and interested people calling into the Pavilion. And by later in the afternoon many returned to shelter from the rain.

The Pipe Bands March Past and Contest started at 1 pm under dry conditions but by 2 pm the rain really started and the Contest was finally called off with many Pipe Band members, who didn’t have their Inverness Capes, looking very wet indeed.

At 3.30 pm most of the Clans started to pack up, unfortunately with very wet gear, which created a big drying out problem over the next few days.

Although the rain was a problem the day was quite a success with the number of our members calling in for a chat and some refreshments. They all expressed a desire to be at the next Highland Games at Waipu on New Years day.